Basic Tools Required
Tools needed for assembly will be included w/ a kit. Tools which are currently included:
- 1.5mm Hex key
- 2mm Ball End Hex Key
- 3mm Ball End Hex key
- 4mm Ball End Hex Key
- 5mm Allen wrench --- used for M6 Socket Cap Head Screws (SCHS)
- 8mm Combo Wrench
- 10mm Assembly Wrench
- 13mm or 1/2" wrench for M8 hex nuts
as well as
- blue thread lock
- Sharpie Permanent Marker
- Slip Joint Pliers (a pair was included w/ earlier kits in lieu of the larger wrenches)
- 1/8" hex key for 10-24 BHCS used for 1/2" aluminum spacers used for Z-axis stops
- 5.5mm open-end wrench --- used for M3 hex nuts
Tools needed for a stock ShapeOko 2 kit from Inventables. These tools will also cover most Shapeoko 1 kits.
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 3mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 2mm Allen wrench
- 1.5mm Allen wrench
- 2 13mm open-end wrenches
- 8mm open-end wrench
- A tool to tighten the M3 brass standoff spacers --- candidates include: 5mm open-end wrench, adjustable crescent wrench, nylon parallel-jaw pliers.
- M5 0.8 pitch Tap
- razor blade (used for cutting and stripping wires, the tools listed below are preferable)
- small flat-bladed screwdriver
- very small Phillips (or flat-bladed) screwdriver
- #2 Philips or large flat-bladed screwdriver
Tool Descriptions and Notes
Note: Ball-end hex wrenches are much easier to use when assembling things at odd angles in tight spaces.
Note: 1/2" and 5/16" wrenches (pictured) respectively are w/in tolerance and may be used instead (or one may use the odd pair of a 13mm and 1/2" wrench if one has a combination Imperial/metric set of wrenches).
|Tap only needed if Makerslide is not pre-tapped|
|Tools needed for wiring electronics|
|Soldering iron only needed if assembling a board from components or if using a wiring option which requires soldering.|
- https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-taps/=160sq9g --- spiral/gun taps are useful in a through hole, pushing chips out the far end
- M3 tap (for Shapeoko 3 if tapping rails to mount drag chains)
- M6 tap (for Shapeoko 3): http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-9-Drill-and-6-mm-x-1-0-NC-Tap-Set-DWA1420/204787310
- Countersink, Filing tools or Dremel with milling bit: Some Shapeokos have mounting plates w/ coatings which may need to be removed from the holes for the bolts to fit. Some manufacturing process may leave small nubs around all holes which should be filed off. A single twist of a countersink will remove the burr, which is much faster than a file.
- Tapered Reamer --- Some upgrades may require enlarging the holes in the plates --- a tapered reamer is a useful tool for doing so. This was more so the case for the ShapeOko 1's plates which had round holes.
- Machinist's (or other high-precision) square --- a good quality drafting triangle is amazingly precise for the price and a useful tool for checking that things are square, perpendicular and plumb.
- Dial Indicator is useful for evaluating accuracy
- Caliper and/or micrometer
- heat source (heat gun or hair blow-dryer) if using heat shrink tubing.
||Note: The Loctite might not be necessary, but is handy to have around. As the machine vibrates (and it will), your bolted connections have the potential of loosening. If this occurs, one option is to use a dab of thread locker to prevent the guilty bolt from coming loose again. It's not necessary to do this to any of the bolts unless they begin to loosen. Alternately, one could instead use lock washers.
Carbide 3D uses Loctite 222 when assembling machines.
Technique for molding foam: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4770.0
- Contour gauge --- well-suited to duplicating shapes for replicating parts. Designing_for_Fabrication#Duplication_of_arbitrary_shapes
- Crimpers ---
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103683--- suited to small Molex and DuPont connectors.
- CRC Plastic Safe Multi-Purpose Precision Liquid Lubricant, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Amber
- Loupe, linen tester, or comparator --- for examining endmills and machined surfaces
- deburring tool (if doing metal) --- http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Deburring-Tool-HDX090/204218603