For those of you who have yet to assemble your own machines, here’s a 2 minute primer on how to setup your GT2 belts on a stock Shapeoko 3.
The basic gist of the process goes like this:
X & Y-Axis:
- Install belt anchors on the base frame with just a little bit of slack in the GT2 belt.
- Loosen stepper motor.
- Pull up on stepper motor to tension belt. Weight of machine will load belts to ~12 lb.
- Lock motor position by tightening screws when edge of machine starts lifting.
- Install carriage plate assembly, ensure closed-loop belt is routed around idler and pulley.
- Using hex wrench, simultaneously pull down and tighten the slotted standoff. Use approx. 10 lb force.
With gravity on your side (at least for the X and Y axes), you should be able to achieve a consistent belt tension on your machine and get up and running soon.