The DeWalt DWP611 (European model D26200) is the standard choice for the Shapeoko 3.
- US: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/woodworking-routers-dwp611.aspx
- EU: http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/D26200/ --- note that the bundled collet size will vary based on locality, 6.35mm (compatible with the 1/4" endmill bundled w/ the machine is common, but 8mm is not unheard of)
It is also available as the DNP611 which is a bare (motor) unit and necessary adjuncts, but no accessories (bases) which allow stand-alone use. Prices on this vary widely, apparently the DNP-series is considered a replacement part and is stocked by stripping compleat sets. Porter-Cable equivalent is Model 450 Type 1.
- U.S. (new)
- $119.99 Amazon: DWP611
- $122.98 Home Depot: DWP611 --- $25 off for Black Friday 2015: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5626&p=56835#p56835
- $129.00 Amazon: DNP611
- $129.99 CPO Outlets: DWP611
- $139.00 Lowes: DWP611 --- technique to reduce price: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5626&start=20#p42745
- $139.99 Rockler: DWP611
- $139.99 Woodcraft: DNP611
- $164.76 CPO Outlets: DWP611PK
- U.S. (refurbished)
Please note pricing and availability is subject to change, esp. w/ marketplace vendors.
Collets and Nuts
The standard collet that ships with this router is 1/4" (6.35mm). According to some reports, Dewalt will accept 6mm as well as 1/4" bits. Other collets & nuts (1/4", 1/8", 3/16") are available from several vendors, namely:
- Elaire Corporation (category: Dewalt Style Palm Router Collets) --- please note that the mobile version of their site seems to not list all products, incl. the collets in question. Be certain to match against the part # for the collet for your router so as to ensure compatibility.
- Precise Bits --- ER-style. Ordering 1 nut per collet highly recommended.
- FrezyCNC.eu (currently not listed, but able to order on request)
Stock Speed Control
The DWP611 has built-in soft start and speed control. The speed control commands speeds from 16k rpm to 27k rpm. Users have measured the actual speeds reached at different number settings: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3918
These are in addition to the versions already listed on the Spindle Options page
Commercial Dust Shoe options:
- http://www.ev-guide.com/3d-printing-products/shapeoko3vacuum 
It is also possible to have improved speed control: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5589
http://community.carbide3d.com/t/how-to-mod-the-dewalt-dw611-for-remote-speed-light-and-power-control/1900 --- SAFETY NOTE please treat all wires you run from inside the enclosure as live.
Weight: 3 lbs. 9.2 oz.
Has screw holes at the bottom of the frame which can be used to mount accessories: http://community.carbide3d.com/t/dust-shoe-design/1243
Brush lifespan: speed 1 ~150--200 hours, 2.5 ~50 hours --- discussion at: https://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6057&p=67743#p67743
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt-dwp611pk-type-premium-compact-router-combo-kit-parts-c-1009_2726_180562.html (Amazon) --- note that the Porter Cable 450 is the same router sans speed control, so brushes for that will work as well.