Don't laugh! I'm serious. I'm seeking a donation unit

sell your stuff here
Forum rules
Only legal items and items related to CNC projects are eligible to be advertised through this forum. if your item for sale is deemed to be not fit for the forum it will be removed without warning by one of the moderators.

Don't laugh! I'm serious. I'm seeking a donation unit

Postby MikeA » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 pm

I'm sure some of you will roll your eyes, and gasp or maybe insult me for my request but I'm going to post it because my not doing it would be worse for me. See, I'm trying to get any kind or size Shapeoko so I can make wood urns for people that have lost a loved one or even a pet. I make these now. They are just boxes designed to fit the remains of the person. I donate them. I don't charge anyone any money. It's a gift. I don't want publicity or anything. Just like making and giving.

I had two back surgeries to remove tumors on my spine. I'm okay but standing for long hours on end really hurts a lot. Naturally, making customized boxes is out of the question unless I use a scroll saw and work a little at a time. VERY time consuming and if I make a mistake, I have to start over. The Shapeoko seems the better choice over the X-Carve so I'm hoping someone has an old unit they no longer use and want to gift or donate for a good cause. These CNC machines are more durable than the X Carve frames from what I've read. More accurate cutting is ideal for me with my limitations and it will help me so much than the way I'm doing these now.

So you might be thinking "Why doesn't he just buy one?" I'm disabled and can't work a full-time job, I don't qualify for disability checks and because of my mom dying from cancer, and meeting so many people that can't afford an urn, I decided that I'd like to give my time to this good cause. I certainly have enough of it these days. And I don't want any publicity. These are gifts to help families in need and no one is turned away. I have a few on back order and a machine like this would help me speed up the building while improving the design. And my old back and legs won't hurt as much doing it. A BIG win for me.

If you have one, I appreciate it and will use it to make a lot of folks happy. Maybe all of you can cobble one together out of used parts. I'm good with that. It can be as ugly as ever. As long as it works, what more can I ask for? In advance, thanks for taking time to read this. Okay, now go ahead and laugh. I feel better for just asking.
Mike
MikeA

Re: Don't laugh! I'm serious. I'm seeking a donation unit

Postby GerryAttrick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 pm

As you say nothing to lose by asking. Good luck with your endeavours
GerryAttrick

Postby MikeA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:12 pm

GerryAttrick wrote:As you say nothing to lose by asking. Good luck with your endeavours

Thank you. The worst that can happen is nothing. I'm already there. I'm not asking for me per se, I'm an intermediary helping others less fortunate. I love woodworking and I get to make things that are treasured items for others. That is my reward. I appreciate your support.
Mike
MikeA

Postby BenL » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 am

This is an awesome cause!! I unfortunately do not have a Shapeoko that I can donate but, I do have some food for thought. Some people build their own Shapeokos:
https://hackaday.io/project/11486-building-a-shapeoko-3-from-scratch

Maybe, the whole Shapeoko community could come together and machine parts for you and raise money to buy motors, electronics, belts etc. for less than the standard cost and still have the performance of a normal machine. I am willing to bet that a lot of people would machine parts for free and donate a little money through something such as a go fund me.

Or just a go fund me page to raise money and buy a shapeoko 3 if that is easier. (maybe a used one? Or a new one if you raise enough)

-Ben
Shapeoko 3 Serial #4077- threaded inserts in waste board, makita router, suck-it dustboot
BenL

Postby WillAdams » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm

In the past I've suggested that we should work up a system for donation of parts left over from upgraded machines --- unfortunately, it's complex w/o much payoff, and we're a small, self-funded startup which can't really afford to provide discounts, and doing all we can to make machines to sell to stay in business.

The original design had a strong opensource / self-sourcing aspect to it, and for a while it looked as if we were going to consider something Reprap like (folks cut parts for a pair of machines and pass them on to two other persons who would then assemble machines and repeat) but the expense of vitamins and the economics just didn't work out.

I've debated working up a Kickstarter centered around project designs and allowing folks to do fund raising to get machines --- sticking point is working up a way to host the projects in a way that is meaningful to me. I suppose I could give up on that aspect and just put them on cutrocket.com --- would folks be amenable to that?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby GerryAttrick » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Will,

I think that would be a great idea. It won't help C3D sell machines but they probably would not get a sale to these people anyway. It would get more parties started and that might mean more sales of accessories thru the shop and maybe more projects for us to follow.
GerryAttrick

Postby MikeA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm

BenL wrote:This is an awesome cause!! I unfortunately do not have a Shapeoko that I can donate but, I do have some food for thought. Some people build their own Shapeokos:
https://hackaday.io/project/11486-building-a-shapeoko-3-from-scratch

Maybe, the whole Shapeoko community could come together and machine parts for you and raise money to buy motors, electronics, belts etc. for less than the standard cost and still have the performance of a normal machine. I am willing to bet that a lot of people would machine parts for free and donate a little money through something such as a go fund me.

Or just a go fund me page to raise money and buy a shapeoko 3 if that is easier. (maybe a used one? Or a new one if you raise enough)

-Ben

I would really like that to happen. That would be great. Thanks for the contact and suggestions. I imagine a little here, a little there could do something pretty spectacular. Plus whoever helps me out has free urns. They run $125 to $500 or more a piece depending on the wood and decoration. A person shouldn't feel guilty because they can't afford the best box (coffin or urn). My step grandpa was buried at Point Loma (Ft Rosecrans National Cemetery) because he was in the Navy. Mom couldn't afford a coffin so they put him in some kind of a corrugated box. Mom said it was basically cardboard. The bottom fell through as they started to lay him to rest. That image stayed with her the rest of her life. I don't want anyone to experience that if possible. Mom decided to be cremated. She is interred at Rosecrans too. As I get older, I don't want my kids or wife to have that guilt. Grim as it is, it's a fact of life. So that's my personal reason for doing this. I'll try gofundme again but I tried once before and had no success.
MikeA

Postby MikeA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 pm

WillAdams wrote:In the past I've suggested that we should work up a system for donation of parts left over from upgraded machines --- unfortunately, it's complex w/o much payoff, and we're a small, self-funded startup which can't really afford to provide discounts, and doing all we can to make machines to sell to stay in business.

The original design had a strong opensource / self-sourcing aspect to it, and for a while it looked as if we were going to consider something Reprap like (folks cut parts for a pair of machines and pass them on to two other persons who would then assemble machines and repeat) but the expense of vitamins and the economics just didn't work out.

I've debated working up a Kickstarter centered around project designs and allowing folks to do fund raising to get machines --- sticking point is working up a way to host the projects in a way that is meaningful to me. I suppose I could give up on that aspect and just put them on cutrocket.com --- would folks be amenable to that?

Small businesses need to make money. Period. No one works for free and I certainly don't want you to either.

I'm perfectly happy with used, ugly parts and the like as long as they work. I'm not picky at all. As for your company losing earnings, let's not let that happen.

Maybe I can help with a donation idea. Instead of people giving away their parts, they send them to you and your company can receive and refurb from donations. You make money, customers get a little help after your company checks out the parts and you can donate the parts to a good cause while making a little money on the side for the effort. It would certainly build a strong customer base instead of the RepRap direction. Plus it could lower mfg costs too. HP does it, Sony does it, Canon does it. There's a reason they build their products with refurbished parts... it keeps loyal customers coming back and helps the ones that can't afford a new item.

Just a thought.

Thanks for taking time to discuss it on the open forum. You seem like a good man and have a good company. I'll figure it out somehow. I'm going to try Kickstarter. Probably won't have any success with it but it can't hurt. Thanks again.
Mike
MikeA

Postby WillAdams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:57 pm

First off, it's not my company --- see: http://carbide3d.com/about/

I'm a volunteer / freelancer / part-time off-site remote tech support: https://www.shapeoko.com/team.php

Unfortunately, stuff like that requires time, effort, resources --- time is Napoleon's most precious commodity, we're pouring pretty much all effort and resources into getting things back in stock (and keeping products in stock) and supporting things, and extending things such as cutrocket.com --- see: http://docs.carbide3d.com/payment-faq/d ... discounts/

I've pitched my Kickstarter idea to the partners again, and I think it's simplified down to the point where it might work this time. Used machines turn up from time-to-time --- perhaps you could pick up one?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby MikeA » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:49 pm

WillAdams wrote:First off, it's not my company --- see: http://carbide3d.com/about/

I'm a volunteer / freelancer / part-time off-site remote tech support: https://www.shapeoko.com/team.php

Unfortunately, stuff like that requires time, effort, resources --- time is Napoleon's most precious commodity, we're pouring pretty much all effort and resources into getting things back in stock (and keeping products in stock) and supporting things, and extending things such as cutrocket.com --- see: http://docs.carbide3d.com/payment-faq/d ... discounts/

I've pitched my Kickstarter idea to the partners again, and I think it's simplified down to the point where it might work this time. Used machines turn up from time-to-time --- perhaps you could pick up one?

Hi Will, I just launched my Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002946314/cremation-urns-for-people-in-need-i-make-them-and?ref=creator_nav I took your advice and I'm hoping I get the funding. I didn't mean to imply anything negative. Far from it. I once tried to do a start up and it was incredibly difficult. In the end, it failed. I'm glad you're a volunteer. That's really cool. If we all did this, the world, and small businesses would be a lot better off. Small businesses are disappearing thanks to the internet. If anyone sends an old machine in, keep me in mind. Thanks.
MikeA

Return to For Sale