And so the spend commences

Talk about all things CNC

And so the spend commences

Postby GerryAttrick » Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 pm

My SO3 has arrived!!

I have to make a wasteboard for mine as my friend remove it from the package to make it easier to transport. As he saved me over $400 us in freight and 15% Duty I guess I can't complain. I have the MDF cut and just have to Mark and drill holes.

Now I need to sort out some cutters.

I had a look at Drillman1 on eBay and realised I have a lot to learn about cutters. So I have decided to go with some from carbide 3D

I base my selection on the wiki and will get 3 of 201, 2 number 202 and 2 number301. I have decided to just stick with quarter inch cutters until I feel confident enough and need 1/8" cutters.

Raining here today so I intend to spend the time working through some vcut tutorials and also Carbide Create
GerryAttrick

Re: And so the spend commences

Postby WillAdams » Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 pm

It's not as bad with a CNC router as with a mill (on a mill tooling and workholding can easily be half the cost of the machine, so up to a third or so of the total investment).

Buying inexpensive ones to start isn't bad so long as breakage isn't frustrating, and don't overlook suitable router bits from your local building supply stores.

There's some basic information at: http://docs.carbide3d.com/support/#tooling-support
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby GerryAttrick » Wed May 16, 2018 1:37 am

Thanks Will,
It's the same with wood turning lathes..the cost is in the tools as much as the lathes.

I wondered about using router cutters especially as I have several I use with my big Hitachi and Triton routers.

That chart is also useful.

At the moment I am struggling with marking up the hole centres on my wasteboard..pretty hard to eyeball to decimal places of a mm to meet the figures on the template. I might have to get it done on a CNC machine
:?
GerryAttrick

Postby AnonymousPerson » Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am

GerryAttrick wrote:I have to make a wasteboard for mine as my friend remove it from the package to make it easier to transport.

As a thought, it's totally possible to create your own wasteboard from plate aluminium. When I bought mine a while back, one of the first things I did was to replace the wasteboard with 4mm aluminium. It works well.

Possibly interestingly, I bought two aluminium plates to be made into wasteboard. 4mm and 6mm.

I figured the 4mm would be for practice (eg first attempt), as I was liable to screw something up. With the plan to "make the real one" using the 6mm.

However... the first attempt, using the 4mm plate has worked out so well that I never bothered to swap over to the 6mm waste board. That's just been sitting around (with no holes drilled) since then. I must get around to doing something with it some day. :)
Last edited by AnonymousPerson on Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 3 #516
AnonymousPerson

Postby GerryAttrick » Thu May 17, 2018 12:50 am

My problem is that I have 2 plans with measurements for the wasteboard - both drawn by Edward. One is solely in mm and the other in mm/imperial. The metric measurements are different on each one! Not by much but when I have to put a bolt into a threaded hole "not much" is too much. :o

I thought of using the holes in the frame to mark the wasteboard but I'll need to work out how tight the wasteboard fits into the frame. If its too tight/loose will it cause a problem aligning the gantry or anything else at assembly?

Hmm..best I start a new thread on this one after I have had a chance this weekend to lay the parts out and look at things in more detail :roll: Lucky I have plenty of MDF on hand...I think I am going to need it before I have everything running.
GerryAttrick

Postby WillAdams » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

Please let us know which files you are using and from where and we'll try to reconcile this (or at least get some notes on the wiki about it).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby GerryAttrick » Sat May 19, 2018 10:20 pm

@ willadams. The incorrect(???) Drawing is dated 23/4/2015 (ref S3099)and I think I may have picked it up from a post on this site but I have no idea where. I do know it appears to be referenced in an earlier post re wasteboard dimensions by RawIndesign where the dimensions were "changed" by 1.73mm _ incidentally that incorrect sized waste board is still available for download along with a workaround!

The dimensions I am currently working to are those from the wiki with a width of 717.55mm. In the earlier drawing the measurement is shown as 721.73mm and there was discussion around the missing 1.73mm in the Rawindesign drawing. The consensus seemed to be that 721.73 was correct and yet the latest drawing by Edward on the wiki has a width of 717.55mm!

How critical is that figure given I have no equipment capable of measuring to 0.55mm. Would using an overall width of 718mm work so long as holes are inset 40mm?
GerryAttrick

Return to Discussion