Why you should not run unattended

Talk about all things CNC

Re: Why you should not run unattended

Postby twforeman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Jimf wrote:I try not to leave machines unattended but sometimes you need to get another cup of coffee or bathroom break. I put a remote wifi camera in my shop that I can view on my phone.

The room is also equipped with several fire extinguishers and smoke alarms. Now that I have a laser cutter, it is very important to keep a eye on things.

Leaving the room for a minute or two is okay. It's the people who start jobs and go to bed, or the store, etc. that worry me.

I don't even like to run the 3D printer when I'm not home or sleeping. I hear about people running 40 hour prints and just shake my head. :o
Prusa i3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts
twforeman

Postby Fablicator » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:06 pm

twforeman wrote:
Jimf wrote:I try not to leave machines unattended but sometimes you need to get another cup of coffee or bathroom break. I put a remote wifi camera in my shop that I can view on my phone.

The room is also equipped with several fire extinguishers and smoke alarms. Now that I have a laser cutter, it is very important to keep a eye on things.

Leaving the room for a minute or two is okay. It's the people who start jobs and go to bed, or the store, etc. that worry me.

I don't even like to run the 3D printer when I'm not home or sleeping. I hear about people running 40 hour prints and just shake my head. :o

I would not let my Shapeoko go more than briefly unattended either, and certainly never on a first run of a part. There is just no way to adequately monitor whats going on between the bit and your work piece.

Most mid-high level 3D Printers should have enough safety features to prevent a fire, though. There are fewer (and easier) variables to control.

On the machines I use:

*The normal running temperatures are well below flash point if the something mechanical were to fail and the print head would get buried into the part.
*If the thermocouple were to become detached from the extruder head, the low temp warning would trigger and extrusion would stop.
*If the thermocouple were cut, it would read maxtemp and extrusion would stop.
*All wiring is properly rated, and the power supply and control electronics are contained within a metal enclosure.
Fablicator

Postby AnonymousPerson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Jimf wrote:I saw a wifi enabled power strip that someone used for a 3D printer. Those printers can be a fire hazard if the hot print head goes thermal runaway. Not sure where you can find the power strip.

Hmmm, I have one of these in self storage overseas. Won't have access to it for a few months though:

http://www.wti.com/p-83-ips-800-ce-inte ... -8c13.aspx

Sounds like another project for the ToDo list, even if later on. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516
AnonymousPerson

Postby KAScnc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:30 pm

I've ran 70+ hour prints before. The best suggestion I can give is run the printer in a all metal cabinet with a camera and smoke alarm like this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDH6JBS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00HE4958I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FQ3Q7QC49AN47WK6FSG

Thermal fuses and quality power supplies help as-well. As for the TCP/IP connected power distribution switch, I use a APC AP7900. You can find deals on ebay, about a 100 bucks..
KAScnc

Postby jpmreno01 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 pm

What kind of camera can I install on my enclosure and view on my phone?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jpmreno01

Postby CrazyBillybob » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:24 am

I've been using a https://www.wyzecam.com/ wyze camera.They cost $19.99 and are pretty nice. I have one on my 3D printer so I can check it from anywhere on long prints. My 3d printer is connected to a wifi controlled outlet so I can cut the power if anything crazy happens. (Which I have done a few times when the print popped off the bed or one of the steppers missed a step or 50) I will be adding one to my CNC enclosure when I get the rebuilt finished.

CBB

I have no affiliation with the wyze cam company...just a happy customer.
CrazyBillybob

Postby jpmreno01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:35 pm

CrazyBillybob wrote:I've been using a https://www.wyzecam.com/ wyze camera.They cost $19.99 and are pretty nice. I have one on my 3D printer so I can check it from anywhere on long prints. My 3d printer is connected to a wifi controlled outlet so I can cut the power if anything crazy happens. (Which I have done a few times when the print popped off the bed or one of the steppers missed a step or 50) I will be adding one to my CNC enclosure when I get the rebuilt finished.

CBB

I have no affiliation with the wyze cam company...just a happy customer.
Thanks for the info that's great info.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jpmreno01

Previous

Return to Discussion