video or other manufacturing details on the MakerSlide?

Talk about all things CNC

video or other manufacturing details on the MakerSlide?

Postby fishtoprecords » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 am

My curiosity wants to know how they make the MakerSlide. Obviously, its an aluminum extrusion. I assume that there are a few dies that they press the hot aluminum through so that at the end: Magic: a MakerSlide. I"m more than a bit vague on the details.

Anyone know of videos, discussions, etc. on how its done really?
fishtoprecords

Re: video or other manufacturing details on the MakerSlide?

Postby criznach » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:06 am

This isn't makerslide, but I saw this video recently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiGlq7408ME
criznach

Postby fishtoprecords » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:02 am

Yeah, that video is what got me asking deeper questions. How are the dies designed? Are there a series or just one? etc.?

I just spent most of this afternoon taping my MakerSlide and I'm sure that that 4.5 mm bore in the slide was not drilled. The open V parts are fairly easy to see, but the completed tube sections seem magic to me.
fishtoprecords

Postby criznach » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:30 am

Yeah I did some tapping today too. Going to 1000mm Y soon!

I've also wondered about the holes. I'm guessing the metal is under so much pressure that it forms back together as it exits the die. I've wondered if it's tapered down to size, and how that's designed.
criznach

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 am

Extrusion starts with an aluminum cylinder called billet. It is hot, but below the melting point. It is placed in a press, which consists of a steel cylinder around the billet, a hydraulic ram behind it, and the extrusion die in front of it. The hydraulic ram pushes the billet and the aluminum flows through the die.

Most profiles without inner voids are made with single-piece dies. The die is a thick disk of special steel (or tungsten carbide). The outer face has an opening that's the shape of the profile; the inner face has a much larger opening that tapers down. The shape of this opening is calculated so that enough aluminum flows in each part of the die to form the features of the profile.

Profiles with inner voids are usually made with two-piece dies. The front piece works much like the single-piece die, and forms the outside of the profile. The back piece has the mandrels that form the cavities. The tip of the mandrel lines up with the front die and has the shape of the cavity. The back of the mandrel is held by "spokes". The flow of aluminum splits around these spokes and merges back.

Because the dies are made of extremely tough materials, they are usually made by electrical discharge machining (spark erosion).

Check out Google Images: aluminum extrusion dies, and also the Wikipedia article on extrusion.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Postby Nigel K Tolley » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Another thing you can do is look at pasta makers - it is exactly the same process, only without the heating part!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Nigel K Tolley

Return to Discussion