ShapeOKo and OpenRail

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions

ShapeOKo and OpenRail

Postby baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 am

Hi,
I ordered my ShapeOko in the 2nd Inventables batch; I am planning on doing a few tweaks when it arrives. One of those being to extend the cutting area a little bit (extra 10cm) so it can carry out the job I have in mind. Once I had placed my order I had a look round for some extra MakerSlide so I could extend it but to my dismay I could not find any that would ship to the UK (living in the UK is turning into a real pain for sourcing crucial parts!) however while browsing around the web I stumbled across http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ope ... ing-system Most of you will hopefully be aware of this by now, due to some other forum posts. It was the answer to my problems; MakerSlide compatible and shipped to the UK. So I put my order in straight away, and Mark and Trish where really great in sorting me out with a good deal. So once everything was ordered, I started to think. I came across this topic viewtopic.php?f=11&t=302 which was really interesting, as Improbable Construct had used two pieces of MakerSlide back to back to strengthen the gantry once he had extended it. So if I was going to extend my gantry what could I do; I came up with this
Image I had ordered enough OpenRail to extend my ShapeOko and some more extra. This modification would bring a lot extra strength to the gantry without creating an obstructing feature, I developed it a bit more in Sketchup and the design seems feasible.
Image However I don’t actual have a ShapeOko and have never seen one in the flesh, so do you think it will work? Is it feasible? Or is it a bit over the top?
Many Thanks
Regards
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Re: ShapeOKo and OpenRail

Postby JCPhlux » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:11 pm

This looks good to me, but OpenRail in its Kickstarter so there is some time before this will be available.

It will be interesting to see the fabricating community in a few years once all these low cost rail system are common place and easy to get your hands on.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth
JCPhlux

Postby baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks. I spoke to Mark and Trish, and shipping shouldn't be to long in the future. And yeah, we are making it way to easy for future builders, in 5 years time they could be selling these kits as childs toys, like meccano!
Baz
ShapeOko #676, eShapeOko #11, Hardened MakerSlide, OpenRail, Steel v's, Misumi Extrusion, Kress 800
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Postby Digitalmagic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:45 pm

This open rail is great, matching several rail brands, including 25mm.

Does shapeoko rely on eccentric nuts to trim the V-wheel pressure on the rail?
The eccentric nut seems designed to trim just one V-wheel pressure against rail.

As your design includes 2 V-wheels on the same axle, an eccentric nut would trim pressure on both V-wheels in a slightly different way.
Perhaps this detail is irrelevant, after all.
Jean
Last edited by Digitalmagic on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!
Digitalmagic

Postby baz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Digitalmagic,
Yeah the gantry does rely on eccentric nuts to adjust the pressure on the rail http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/File:M2.JPG . It’s a good job you mentioned this because I never really thought how I would implement this with two V-wheels, I suppose I could have them on the same shaft, but actually (just thought while I was typing) if it works already shouldn’t it just be ok with the original set up, by this I am meaning that on the universal mount plate there must be room for adjustment. Anyway, by the sounds of my train of thought, it will end up being decided due to experimentation when my kit arrives.
Many Thanks
Regards
Baz
MakerSlide Europe Store
baz

Postby Digitalmagic » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 am

Baz,
For your double section, using upcoming OpenRail, there is the double 2020 section for long span, although compactness is a must.
To avoid the wheels differential pressures, you could use 2 "classic" carriages on each side, trimmed with eccentric, but linking the plates, instead of sharing wheels axles.

An alternative, in your "four lanes" design, is perhaps to have a upper carriage and a lower carriage, linked together allowing to trim the overall wheels pressure? In this case, no more eccentric nuts, and a screwing method to get even pressure on wheels. Another story, indeed!

I ordered Shapeoko kit and extra Makerslide, "just to extend it", but building a "thicker" Shapeoko is already sparkling! :D
Thanks.
Jean.
OpenRail-Double2020.JPG
Double 2020 and OpenRail
OpenRail-Double2020.JPG (42.82 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
s/o #650 - Wish my digits are ... magic!
Digitalmagic

Postby Max Metz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Looks like many of us are heading in the same direction, picking up on similar happenings. So far with a 1m extension in the y axis there has been a small amount of deflection in the Makerslide, this is probably due to the shallow depth of the beam (40mm) - the open rail may improve this a little but a sure way of removing the deflection is to make the beam deeper or use 2 of them in parallel like we have seen with the x-axis.

Open rail combined with the Makerslide Delrin/Rollerskate bearings looks to have finally broken the back of high priced long cnc rails. :D
Max Metz

Return to Design Ideas