Listed below are commercial software programs or those with significant license limitations despite being otherwise free.
Feeds and Speeds Calculator
|2D CAD||PowerCADD||Macintosh CADD program.|
|2D CAD||Cadintosh||Macintosh 2D CAD program. Shareware.|
|2D CAD||progeCAD 2013||Windows. "Professional, native DWG 2D/3D CAD, supplied with Applications, Libraries and Services." Notable for having a free (for non-commercial use) donation-ware version progeCAD 2009 Smart|
|3D modeling (Commercial/Free for personal use)||MEDUSA4 Personal CAD Suite||CAD software for hobby, DIY or home improvement projects.|
|3D modeling (Educational, Windows)||T-FLEX CAD Student Edition||Parametric CAD with few limitations, allowing students to use the product, understand its benefits and features, and prepare for their career of design engineers.|
|3D modeling (Commercial/Free for personal use, object limited, Windows)||Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0||cut-and paste, push-and-pull, and drag-and-drop techniques.|
|3D modeling (Commercial)||Moment of Inspiration||3D modeling for designers and artists for Windows and Mac OS X (dual license allows use on both platforms w/ one license). Originally designed for use on pen computers.|
|3D modeling (Commercial)||Rhino 3D||3D modeling. CAM also available, w/ over 350 post-processors on their download page. A TinyG prostprocessor is available here.|
|3D modeling (Commercial (Free version available))||3DCrafter™||Real-time 3D modeling and animation tool that incorporates an intuitive drag-and-drop approach to 3D modeling.|
|3D modeling (Creative Commons Only)||3DTin||Browser-based 3D modeling.|
|3D modeling (Commercial)||Cheetah3D||3D modeling, rendering and animation software for Apple Mac OS X (10.6 or later, 1GB RAM, 16MByte VRAM).|
|3D modeling (Commercial, license-limited freeware)||Trimble SketchUp (Previously owned by Google, it has since been sold to Trimble Buildings (now Trimble Navigation, Ltd.))||You can build models from scratch, or you can download what you need. People all over the world share what they've made on the Trimble 3D Warehouse. In 2013, Trimble released two new versions, licensing SketchUp Pro 2013 requires one to have licensed the software for $495, and the payment of an annual $95 license maintenance fee ; SketchUp Make 2013 (formerly the free version) now has a license which forbids any commercial use. There are many tutorials available, some discussion in the forums, including a post with excellent usage tips and advice: Re: Sketchup 3d Models – Update 12th Jun 2012.
CAM Options for SketchUp:
See also the plugins BezierSpline and Guitarlist: Convert Sketchup SKP files to DXF or STL
|3D modeling (Commercial)||AutoCAD||One of the world’s leading 2D and 3D CAD design tools. There are a number of clones which are less expensive (and often have free versions) or are simply free. For free (including opensource), see 10 useful Free alternative to AutoCAD. See also REALIZE for AutoCAD] an AutoLISP script to generate G-Code from lines, circles, polylines, and points in a CAD file. Another similar tool is GCode Programming for AutoCAD by Steve J. Lindsay. See also a similar tool for engraving.
AutoDesk Fusion 360 is available under an annual license w/ pricing ranging from zero to $300 to $1200 annually. http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy CAM tutorial
Entry level: http://www.autodesk.com/store/autosketch
Notes on post-processor for associated CAM: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6328&p=52650
Autodesk Inventor: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6742&p=52874#p52874
|3D modeling (Commercial)||Cubify Invent||"appears to be a reskinned version of Alibre, possibly with some features removed". Forum discussion|
|PCB (Commercial)||Cadsoft Eagle||EAGLE (Easily Applicable Graphical Layout Editor) software for PCB design, including Schematic Capture, Board Layout and Autorouter. User Language Programs enable features such as simulation and 3D-visualization. See PCB-Gcode for a G-Code export tool for this app.|
Special Purpose CAD
|2D CAM --- Gears (Commercial)||Gear template generator program||Windows program to design gears, runs in "wobbly mode" until paid for. Free on-line Flash version and other links listed on the CAM page in the Gears section.|
|2D CAM --- Gears (Commercial)||Gearify||Non-circular Gear Creation Software for Windows, allows design of gear mechanisms of nearly any shape.|
|2D CAM --- Gears (Commercial)||Gear-Wheel Designer with GCode Generator||Windows program to design simple spur gears using either involute or cycloidal tooth form.|
|3D CAM --- Gears (Commercial)||Gearotic Motion||Gear Template Generator. Creates dxf's for further processing by various CAD/CAM programs.|
|3D CAM --- Model Airplanes (Commercial)||DevFus||Specialty program for model airplane fuselages.|
|2.5D CAM (Commercial demo)||Estlcam||Windows .NET program. DXF to G-code program, able to import (R12) DXFs, or draw manually. Includes 3D preview mode. G-Code interpolates arcs to short lines. Review. (commercial / $25)|
|2.5D CAM (Commercial demo)||SheetCAM||Windows and Linux versions available. English, German, Spanish, Swedish available. Company is a Mach2/3 reseller and can be purchased bundled for a savings.|
|2.5D CAM (Commercial demo)||diyCAM||First in a planned suite of CAM programs targeting DIY CNC Router users. Carve allows you to quickly convert a heightmap to G-Code for 3D Carvings and Lithopanes.|
|2.5D CAM (Commercial demo)||VCarve Pro||Powerful but intuitive software solution for 2D design and calculation of 2D and 2.5D toolpaths for cutting parts on a CNC Router. They also have Aspire, which is "built on the same platform" as well as the hobby-oriented Cut2D 1.5. A set of Post Processors is available at the following forum post Vectric Aspire Post Processor. Alternately use the 'g-code (inch) (*.tap)' post processor --- put the code G20 at the beginning for inches. Further discussion at: Aspire software. Drag Knife Support.|
|2.5D CAM (Shareware)||Image to G-Code||Shareware for Windows|
|Engraving||PicEngrave||Converts your images into standard gcode to raster engrave your images. New Pro 5 version upgraded to include Grbl 0.9 compatibility and other improvements.|
|3D modeling (commercial demo)||CamBam||Application to create CAM files (gcode) from CAD source files or its own internal geometry editor. Requires .NET 2 or later. Older beta version is still available for free . A plug-in for engraving is available on their forums: http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3513.0 --- discussion of limitations in Re: VCarve Bar Sign.
TrueType fonts which approximate single line fonts are available here: Single Line Stick Type TTF Fonts For CNC Engraving, along with instructions for preventing the cutter from doubling back.
Please note that the default feed rate is much too high.
Documentation on post-processors: http://www.cambam.info/doc/plus/cam/PostProcessor.htm 
Problems w/ Grbl and a solution: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6604&p=51611#p51603
Discussion of polyline vs. splines in processing time: https://www.reddit.com/r/CNC/comments/3eyc2r/cambam_vs_meshcam/ctkhvud
|3D modeling (commercial demo)||DeskProto||Imports STL files from any 3D CAD program, calculates CNC toolpaths and writes NC program files (3-axis, 4-axis and 5-axis). Aimed at designers for Rapid Prototyping, at jewelers for wax models, artists for sculptures, medics for prostheses, moldmakers, woodworkers, teachers, students, hobbyists.|
|2D/3D CAD/CAM (Commercial)||BobCAD||Windows CAD/CAM. Post-processor available here.|
|3D modeling (commercial demo)||MeshCAM||Imports STL and DXFs, can extrude R12 DXFs into a 3D part. Will also convert pixel images into 3D shapes. 15 day demo available. Available from shop.shapeoko.com. See also MeshCAM Art. How to write gcode to surface wasteboard?
|3D modeling (commercial)||Simplify 3D Creator||Import and manipulate geometry, repair models, generate G-Code instructions, verify toolpaths, manually control your machine, and print parts.|
|3D modeling (free plug-in for commercial program)||HSMXpress||Free CAM Solution for SolidWorks. Working post-processors: tinyg.cps - Generic TinyG, generic GRBL.cps post processor|
|Verify / Edit (Commercial/Demo)||NCPlot||Verify tool path and view and edit G-code. Older versions (1.1 and 1.2) were freely available, but are no longer available for download.|
|Verify (Free for non-commercial use)||NCSim||Yet another CNC 3-axis simulator.|
|G-Code Editor||tkCNC||Text editor, specially designed for CNC code (G-code) editing for CNC machines.|
|G-Code Editor||Discriminator CNC editor||Allows viewing the code in a variety of fonts and colors. Multi viewport viewer.|
|G-Code Editor||G-Wizard G-Code Editor||Text editor, verify, simulate, analyze, transform, integration w/ calculator. 3D mode implemented using Away3D. Includes conversational CNC.|
|G-code Interpreter and machine controller||Mach3||Mach3 is the flagship of the ArtSoft products. See Adding XBOX 360 Controller to control ShapeOko for an affordable pendant option.|
Microsoft App Store
- Microsoft 3D Builder
Additional programs to consider
- https://www.makersempire.com/ --- educational
- http://www.kentechinc.com/ --- variety of software for shops, including conversational milling and turning
- http://www.softsquad.com/ --- CodeShark Mill and Lathe versions
- http://www.vectorcam.com/ --- German, pages also available in English and French
- http://www.dptechnology.com/ Esprit
- http://ashlar.com/2d-3d-drafting/2d-3d-cad-graphite.html --- Ashlar Vellum's cross-platform Windows/Mac OS X program, previously known as Vellum.
- http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/ --- Windows, Mac OS X. Java 8 or later.
- https://www.graebert.com/en/arescommander --- DWG-based, Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- http://kubotek3d.com/Products/KeyCreator-Direct-CAD.aspx 
- http://www.123dapp.com/ http://www.thetazzbot.com/2015/06/13/designing-for-3d-printing-making-useful-things-part-1/
- http://www.cad2gcode.com/dxf4cnc/ 
- http://www.shape3D.com/ --- surfboard design
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/morphi/id833530351?mt=8 iPad app, Morphi, free w/ in-app purchases. Requires ios 8
- http://www.formz.com/ --- limited version available as FormZ Free.
- http://happycoders.com/release/laser/ 
- http://www.onshape.com/ 
- http://360.autodesk.com/pricing --- http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5543&p=41076 For a ShapeOko 3 using Carbide Motion Machine Controller “new CM V2 beta that works with Autodesk CAM. Use the Mach3 post, Uncheck "Use Radius" in the post processor”
- http://frontplatten-expert.de/de/downloads --- Cetina CAD front panel designer. Requires payment to export in usable file formats.
- http://kubotek3d.com/ --- includes integrated CAM and is able to project onto an arbitrary surface.
- ArtCAM --- Use Mach3 PP for Shapeoko2 and GRBL
- CNCwrapper --- G-code conversion program that can wrap your 21/2D or 3D G-code programs for a 4th (rotary) axis unit (Windows)
- Geomagic Design --- formerly alibre
- SuperCAM Xp Demo
- Pixologic Sculptris
- VariCAD --- available in English, German, Portuguese, Japanese and Chinese versions. Windows or Linux, free 30-day trial.
- IMSI Design DesignCAD
- D2nc --- CNC wizard
- Mozaik CNC
- GGCad, GGCam, GGMill --- (France)
- TurboCAD --- Available for Mac and Windows. Free DoubleCAD XT version available for Windows.
- ViaCAD 2D/3D --- Available for Mac and Windows
- SprutCAM --- 2.5. 3, and 5 axis machine as well as turning and turn-milling. Video tutorials on Tormach.com
- nanoCAD --- Russian AutoCAD clone which uses the .dwg format. Free version w/ 1 year (renewable license) available.