AtomCNC (GRBL Board)

Talk about all things CNC

AtomCNC (GRBL Board)

Postby AtomSoft » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey guys ive been working on a awesome GRBL Controller with tons of features...

XYZ Homing
XYZ Limits
A or Y2
Spindle On/Off
4 Axis
ATMEGA328
USB onboard
Power Jack

All using the GRBL.... the issue i run into now is funding.

I tried to start a Kickstarter thing in the past but i guess i dont have the skills. I wanted to either ask Edward for some pointers or ask you guys if you want to be part of it by us doing a mini kickstater here. If its not possible... :( but ill live and not hold any grudges :)

The board is based on the same stuff now from A4988 from pololu. Here is a image of what i plan to make. Also I was thinking to get the boards made from SeeedStudio since it would cost about $25 for 10... and at DorkbotPDX its about $75 for 3 :(

So would some help be possible? Of course this will be open source as well. Im not in it for the money but would love to get the hardware without breaking my arms and legs.

http://www.indiegogo.com/AtomCNC?a=776492
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Changed Title
Clipboard01.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Last edited by AtomSoft on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE
AtomSoft

Re: GRBL Board

Postby alpha » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm

As far as I understand http://www.indiegogo.com/ is not so picky as Kickstarter.

Do you plan to just to make PCBs or PCBs with parts kit or complete boards with all the electronics?

PS: why not change the Type B to a Mini-B or Micro-B USB connector? I would guess most people have more mini or micro cables at home already...
PPS: why not add a E-Stop input?
PPP: I think in another thread it told that the home and limit switch can be operated on the same input because the logic know what direction it is taking...
alpha

Postby AtomSoft » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 pm

alpha wrote:As far as I understand http://www.indiegogo.com/ is not so picky as Kickstarter.

Do you plan to just to make PCBs or PCBs with parts kit or complete boards with all the electronics?

PS: why not change the Type B to a Mini-B or Micro-B USB connector? I would guess most people have more mini or micro cables at home already...
PPS: why not add a E-Stop input?
PPP: I think in another thread it told that the home and limit switch can be operated on the same input because the logic know what direction it is taking...

Thanks for the input! Ill check that link now.

I plan to offer FULL kits assembled. Its easier since i can test before shipping.
Type B Connector is more sturdy. The Mini and Micro connectors where designed to be for small devices or space limited devices. This board isnt that small and doesnt have a space issue.
E-Stop can be added but i assumed it was a hardware only thing where you use the mushroom switch which is normally closed and when you press the big red button it opens the circuit cutting all the power to the motors.

Home and Limit can be used on the same line... never thought of that thanks...
Blog / Store
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
AtomSoft

Postby alpha » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:39 pm

AtomSoft wrote:E-Stop can be added but i assumed it was a hardware only thing where you use the mushroom switch which is normally closed and when you press the big red button it opens the circuit cutting all the power to the motors.

I think with the possibility to turn the Dremel off it would be OK to have the E-Stop like this... I think I will do both, I have a main switch to turn everything on and off; but I would like to add a E-Stop with resume function - maybe I should just call it a stop switch. But with Grbl this is just a software thing anyway, maybe you just want to expose the not used IO pins so it would be easy to add a cable later for additional functionality we can not think about right now.
alpha

Postby AtomSoft » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Since you gave me the idea on the ... using same lines for Limit and Homing... i have 3 spare I/O perhaps a custom E-Stop or ... E-Pause would be ok :)
Blog / Store
AtomSoft

Postby esacteksab » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 pm

I pinged your other thread, but I'm in for support!
Serial # 215
esacteksab

Postby AtomSoft » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Blog / Store
AtomSoft

Postby esacteksab » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:29 pm

AtomSoft wrote:http://www.indiegogo.com/AtomCNC?a=776492

Done!
Serial # 215
esacteksab

Postby AtomSoft » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Awesome! Thanks. Im gathering info and going to start on the Wiki page now. But im also doing final touches to the PCB.
Blog / Store
AtomSoft

Postby alpha » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm

AtomSoft wrote:Since you gave me the idea on the ... using same lines for Limit and Homing... i have 3 spare I/O perhaps a custom E-Stop or ... E-Pause would be ok :)

I finally found that quote:

JCPhlux wrote:Yes I will use it for both. I am running 6wire to the stepper 4 to drive 2 for the stops/home The 2 stops on each axis only need one set of wires because the logic knows the step direction.
alpha

Next

Return to Discussion