How can i produce a useable DXF file from a 3D jpg image ?

How can i produce a useable DXF file from a 3D jpg image ?

Postby sfxphil » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Here's my problem, i have an image in JPG format ( attached ) that i want to make into a shallow 3D carving on a new Shapeoko 3 XXL. I have tried converting it into a height map which was used by Carvewrights software to produce 3D carvings and that worked well on that machine until it died for a third time. Does anyone know of a piece of reasonably priced software that will do what i need and produce a smooth detailed DXF file. The actual size of this file is around 900megs and produces an image of around 12 feet wide by just under 6 feet tall. The depth of carving need only be around 1.5 inches at most. Attached is a small jpg image to give an idea as to what i have to work with. I don't have the skills to re draw this from scratch in a 3D program so conversation software is my only option. I will be carving this in Jeluton wood (very soft wood) or laminated MDF. Cut into 24 inch squares, 18 carvings in total to cover the area. Out of all the software i have downloaded for my Mac, MeshCAM came close but it is not very detailed or sharp and has a lot of unwanted artifacts.

These carvings will be cast in plaster and then slip cast in clay, fired and attached to my shower wall as a tiled background ! (not for resale or commercial use)

Thanks for your help and suggestions

ps Scan2CAD does not work for this use.
Attachments
small test.jpg
Small Image
small test.jpg (268.5 KiB) Viewed 59 times
sfxphil

Re: How can i produce a useable DXF file from a 3D jpg image

Postby WillAdams » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm

There are some programs listed for working with images at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAM#Images
and https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... xel_Images

Unfortunately your image isn't a straight-forward depth map, so not sure how well it will work --- can you get a 3D file?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How can i produce a useable DXF file from a 3D jpg image

Postby sfxphil » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks i tried most of those listed that work on a Mac with no luck. I made a depth map in Photoshop see attached but still not able to get the results i need to produce a smooth DXF file. I did contact the designer who gave me permission to use the image for non commercial " private" use but he would not give out the original file, which i fully understand. I could sculpt this in clay using a blown up version of this image as a guide but that would take me weeks of work. My idea was to use a CNC machine to save time.

Thanks again
Attachments
inverted CNC image small.jpg
Depth/Height Map ?
inverted CNC image small.jpg (323.18 KiB) Viewed 38 times
sfxphil

Return to Software - CAD, CAM, Workflow Help