CARVING SMALL LETTERS

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions

CARVING SMALL LETTERS

Postby WEASEL333 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:41 am

I am selling 3" X 5" tiles with 3 lines of text 16 characters each. I am currently using fusion 360, with the pocket function and a 0.03" endmill to carve out the inside of the letters, that I may fill them with black paint on maple later on and get a nice professional look. The client does not like the look of V carving. I have found the program fickle with what fonts it will use to produce a reliable tool path. am currently using an art deco font, because of it's consist width throughout the font. They want a clean looking font. I am at my wits end with this, any suggestions on tooling / program solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
Hard work is it's own rew----- OH HEY, BEER!!! :)
WEASEL333

Re: CARVING SMALL LETTERS

Postby WillAdams » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:59 pm

You may want to consider insetting the letterforms as much as their narrowest point would allow, then cutting things as a no offset outline path (you may need to preserve the original path and also cut it as a pocket to ensure everything is cleared). This may somewhat distort the appearance.

F-Engrave has an option for cutting text using a ball-nosed endmill which might work well, avoiding the appearance of V carving, but providing its benefits.

Or see "oneline" fonts (though the selection is limited).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Return to Design Ideas