Where to find information--Beginning SO3 User

Where to find information--Beginning SO3 User

Postby allenc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 pm

This is my attempt to compile a list of references for the person getting started with a SO3 (attached PDF). I have triple-checked the links, but...

If a link does not work as expected, just copy the link text and paste it into a search engine. This should get you where you want to go.

Hopefully this helps us "noobs" to get started.

Please post your corrections/additions and I will update the Where to Find It document periodically.

Allen
Attachments
SO3 Where to Find What You Need to Know.pdf
(183.07 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
allenc

Re: Where to find information--Beginning SO3 User

Postby WillAdams » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Very nice! Added it to the wiki and made a mention of it on the other forums.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby GerryAttrick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Many thanks for your work. As a real noob about to assemble my SO3 this is going to be used a heap. Sometimes its hard ducking back and forth finding all the bits I need to know.

One other thing that would be a big help, and I might try it later as my contribution if nobody else does it, would be to to have the ability to download some of the instructions as PDFs. I cut and pasted the assembly instructions in to a word document but the pictures need to be reduced and the page spacing sorted to align with the text. Works OK for my needs but it would be nice to have it already done.

Alan
GerryAttrick

Postby allenc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for the response--us Noobs gotta' stick together.

I agree about the PDFs. I requested this of Will some time ago. I don't know the status of the request.

Best,

Allen
allenc

Postby WillAdams » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 pm

There are a couple of versions of the instructions of various versions of the machines as PDFs floating around:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19qKLz ... D3iTvDgQp4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1koXhb ... iKv64Ey9Zn

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxHfC ... 0FsaUFVczA

Trying to find the time to get the online instructions updated and then we will look into working up a CSS intended to allow them to print nicely.

Until then, the best thing to do is to copy the online pages and paste them into a word-processor --- that way you're sure you got the most recent and you can control how things print out so that they match the capabilities of your printer. My suggestion would be to just get an inexpensive tablet and use that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
WillAdams

Postby GerryAttrick » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Thanks for those links Will. I have printed out a couple of the pdfs

Last night I assembled the waste-board and end-plates plus the xz assembly. Spent ages try to align the (misaligned)outside holes in my wasteboard - that I drilled myself I hasten to add, only to eventually discovered it was not an issue as the holes in the endplates were for the levelling feet! :oops:

I am taking it slowly as I am not feeling too wonderful because I am recovering from a nagging cough and don't want any errors through lack of concentration. I have to work away from home for the next 2 days so hopefully I can get to finish assembly at the weekend

I downloaded the free trial of V carve and have been doing a few tutorials and suspect I'll be buying a copy of V carve Pro in the future (no point in Desktop if there might be an XXL in the future??). There are some nice projects there which I would like to try. If I earn enough Brownie points I might be allowed to spend more money. I quite like the idea of having a CNC printer and thought I might be able to convince the keeper of the purse that it would be just what she needs. She is very heavily in to Ceramics so would probably not use it so I would have to do so to stop it seizing up. :roll:

I have also been watching a few of Mark Lindsay CNC videos on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMrMqM ... Fcq5K9Ob-w

I found his one on Vectors & Rasters to be quite enlightening
GerryAttrick

Postby WillAdams » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Vectric's pricing / licensing model is really neat --- you can buy one level, then upgrade to the next for the price difference, so there's no penalty in buying in at a lower level.
WillAdams

Return to Assembly