Custom 1/8" Collet for Makita RT0701C Trim Router

Re: Custom 1/8" Collet for Makita RT0701C Trim Router

Postby JPeterG » Fri May 30, 2014 8:40 am

Update for May 30:
Padded envelopes are sealed with their collets snugly inside, address labels attached, ready to go into the mail tomorrow! :D

Being very satisfied with the collets produced for us, I'd like to now share the information about the company that made them.

The company name is Elaire Corportation of Ohio, and the URL for their website is http://www.elairecorp.com

I dealt with Mark there, and he can be reached via the E-Mail address sales@elairecorp.com . Mark was fantastic during the entire process, responding quickly to my E-Mails, and keeping me updated as things progressed. Total turn around time for custom manufacturing of our collets once I committed to purchasing them was about a week. Pretty awesome for a custom run of only 16 pieces.

Mark said that he rounded our batch up to 25 total pieces, and would offer the remaining 9 pieces on their website, first come first served, for $19.75 each. If you contact him via the sales E-Mail above and mention that you heard about the custom 1/8" collets for the Makita RT0701C Trim Router on the Shapeoko forums, he will give you the lower $17.50 price break we got for the first group order. Awesome.

They accept payment via PayPal, which is convenient. Mention that you would like to pay via PayPal when you E-Mail your order, and they will send you a PayPal invoice for the number of collets plus shipping. The invoice simplifies payment and gives you something you can file for your records.

If you have other types of spindles out there that don't offer a stock collet for 1/8" bits, definitely check Elaire Corporation's web site to see if they already offer one for your model. For example, they already offer 1/8" collets for the DW660 trim routers. If you have some uncommon spindle that they don't already have collets for, I definitely recommend that you contact them about making you a custom collet. In the case of our custom 1/8" collet for RT0701C, there was an initial set-up cost of $50 for two collets, with increasing price breaks at 10 and 100 pieces. Of course the cost to create a custom collet for your device will vary based on the size and complexity of the collet, but I'm certain their pricing will be competitive. And of course, their service is top notch.

Regarding the collets themselves, they are extremely well made. In the case of the custom 1/8" collet for the RT0701C, it showed between 2x and 10x less runout than using the stock 1/4" Makita collet with an 1/8" set-screw adaptor. Check out my mini review and runout tests earlier in this thread to see how I tested, and what the actual runout measurements were.

All in all, a fantastic experience. Thanks also to the Shapeoko members who participated in our group order. Your collets will go out tomorrow and hopefully will be humming away in your machines shortly thereafter.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Peter.
Shapeoko 2 #5059. Assembly in progress...
JPeterG

Postby JPeterG » Fri May 30, 2014 10:24 pm

May 30 Update #2:

All the collet orders except one shipped today. US shipments have tracking numbers, international orders I only have customs form numbers to share. I PM'd everyone whose collets went out with their corresponding tracking number or customs form number, but things seem piled up in my outbox for some reason. Pretty much all the US orders are slated for delivery Monday June 2nd. No ETAs were given by USPS for international orders, sorry.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the group order. I hope the collets work out well for everyone, and I would love to hear back if the collet meets your expectations when you get a chance. I'd say post to the thread so everyone can follow along, but you can also PM me if you prefer.

Regards,

Peter.
JPeterG

Problems with PMs going out

Postby JPeterG » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 am

I've been having a problem with PMs being stuck in my outbox and not going out to folks. So I have a little housekeeping I need to do here on the public thread. For that I apologize.

jagmills - I never got your last name for the shipping label, and had to hold your collet back Friday rather than ship it with the rest of them. Please E-Mail me with your last name so I can get your order out to you as quickly as possible.

gperzel, wz9v, jtopoko - Your orders shipped out Friday. For US orders I have tracking numbers, for international orders the only tracking information I can provide is the customs form ID I filed when your package was shipped. E-Mail me if you want me to send you those numbers. For the US shipments, estimated delivery is slated for Monday. For international orders I couldn't get an ETA, sorry.

When I hear back from you guys one way or the other, I'll delete this message from the thread to keep down the clutter.

Regards,

Peter.
JPeterG

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:20 am

As far as I know, they stay in your Outbox until the recipient actually opens them. Only then they move to your Sent folder.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Postby twforeman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:03 pm

cvoinescu wrote:As far as I know, they stay in your Outbox until the recipient actually opens them. Only then they move to your Sent folder.

I investigated this today. PMs stay in your outbox until the recipient opens their inbox. They don't actually have to read the message, just open their inbox.

This is a feature. It's designed that way so that you can edit the messages up until the time that the recipient receives it. Once the recipient opens their inbox the message will move to your sent folder and you can no longer edit it.
Prusa i3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts
twforeman

Postby gperzel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Peter;
Received the collets today- they look great and am sure they will work fine. Many thanks for taking the lead on this.
Best Regards,
gperzel
gperzel

Postby JPeterG » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 pm

gperzel wrote:Peter;
Received the collets today- they look great and am sure they will work fine. Many thanks for taking the lead on this.
Best Regards,
gperzel

Glad to hear they arrived safely today. No problem regarding organizing this. As I said before, I get so much great information from the forums that I thought this was the least I could do to give something back.

Definitely let me (us) know if you are happy with the runout when you get a chance to try. That's the thing I'm most interested in (because a custom collet wouldn't be worth the effort if it wasn't better than using an adapter.)

Peter.
JPeterG

Postby WillAdams » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Mine was waiting for me as well --- looks great! Guess I'll have to either decide to buy a Makita router, or buy a similar collet for my Harbor Freight Trim Router...
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby JPeterG » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:45 pm

WillAdams wrote:Mine was waiting for me as well --- looks great! Guess I'll have to either decide to buy a Makita router, or buy a similar collet for my Harbor Freight Trim Router...

Wow! Buying a collet for a router you don't own... now that's dedication to the thread! :lol: If you do choose to go the custom collet route for your Harbor Freight Trim Router, I can wholeheartedly recommend Elaire Corporation as the manufacturer. Definitely double-check their website first, as they may already offer an 1/8" collet for your router; They already have pre-made 1/8" collets for the DW660 and a lot of other machines.

Regards,

Peter.
JPeterG

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 pm

I don't own a Makita either, but I was planning to buy one. The only thing holding me back was the lack of a 1/8" collet.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

PreviousNext

Return to Trim Routers