My new Shapeoko 3 is it just me?

Talk about all things CNC

Re: My new Shapeoko 3 is it just me?

Postby rocket2004 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 am

HDVideo wrote:Are you generating tool paths and G-code in Gearotic or using some other CAM application for that? If another app, what is it?

Are you selecting the correct post processor when generating G-Code? If you are not selecting Grbl as the Post Processor, you may be generating G-code that is incompatible with the S03.

If you can answer these questions, it might help some of the more experienced S03 users point you in the right direction.

I have used both Gearotic and MeshCam to generate G code. In MeshCam file type saved is: Shapeoko GRBL-inch(*.nc).
In Gearotic the files can be saved as: *.tap or *.nc
rocket2004

Postby WillAdams » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:48 am

Please use a metric post-processor if using Carbide Motion — it is supposed to use Metric internally, and I doubt it’s been much tested w/ Imperial files.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby rocket2004 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:50 am

Sorry Will,

Here are some files that did not work.
Attachments
test nc gcode from gearotic path generator no cam program used.nc
started okay then crashed
(138.9 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Genesis Clock Third Wheel from book.nc
same as above.
(53.56 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
rocket2004

Postby rocket2004 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:09 am

WillAdams wrote:Please use a metric post-processor if using Carbide Motion — it is supposed to use Metric internally, and I doubt it’s been much tested w/ Imperial files.

Will, are you saying I should be doing all my work in metric, because I have
not been doing that.
rocket2004

Postby WillAdams » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:27 am

Just that you should use a metric post-processor when writing out G-code and using Carbide Motion.

I'll review the filefiles you posted when I have a chance.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby madhatter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:23 am

rocket2004 wrote:
madhatter wrote:I bought a set of brass feeler gauges and use one of them to set my Z height. I use brass so I don't damage the end mill. Then just plug in the thickness of the feeler gauge I am using.

Currently, I am using the 0.356mm thick gauge. I put it down and slowly lower the spindle while moving the gauge. When I get friction, I stop and put the Z height at 0.356. When that feeler gauge gets all scratched up, I'll move on to the next one.

After feeler gauge do you set z-axis to zero or leave it alone?
Thanks...RR

When I get the end mill just touching the brass feeler gauge, and the feeler gauge is 0.356mm thick, I go into the "Zero" screen and enter 0.356 in the Z-height box and Hit enter.

This tells the software exactly where the cutter head is in relation to the work piece surface. Up until that time, the software did not have the slightest idea of where your work piece zero was.

Imagine This, you wake up and you're in a pitch-black room. You can't see anything. You're pretty sure it's your bedroom, but you don't really have any way of knowing. You stand up and slowly start walking until you bump into a wall. Until you hit that wall you had no idea where you were in your bedroom. Now that you have found that wall let's call it X.

Now you wander along that wall until you bump into another wall. We will call that wall Y.

So now you are in the corner of your bedroom you know exactly where you are in relation to your bedroom. That is essentially how your software is every time you fire it up. If you have homing switches you send them home and it automatically does this. Ifnot you have to tell the software exactly where the cutter head is on your machine every time you turn it on.

For me, I mostly have the X & Y zero in the bottom left-hand corner as I'm drawing it on the computer. I measure out the dimensions of what I'm going to cut so I don't hit my clamps and I move my machine cutter head to right above the little hash marks I put for X and Y zero.

Then I go into the zero screen and zero X & Y.

Then I will usually move my cutter head to the middle of my work piece and zero the Z-axis somewhere in the middle of my work piece. To reiterate, when I zero the z-axis I'm not actually putting in 0 or clicking a 0 button, I'm putting in the thickness of the feeler gauge I use so that the software knows that my cutter head is exactly that far away from the work surface.

The term "zeroing" is really about telling the software where are the cutter head is in relation to your work piece not necessarily putting it at a point and hitting zero, zero, zero.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015
madhatter

Postby rocket2004 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:37 am

Very informative, thank you............
R
rocket2004

Postby John_TX » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:01 pm

This is probably unrelated but I mention it because you said you lose Z mid-job sometimes.
My first few jobs with the SO3, I noticed that my Z would "retract" during the course of the job. Not a software problem. First I thought the bit was sliding up in the collet. Then I thought the router was sliding up in the mount. Then I thought my Z belt might be loose. After checking in here, I rechecked my Z-axis motor shaft pulley. Guess what? I had put the setscrew in on the round of the shaft, not the flat. So any time I did a plunge move I was losing Z and had no idea!
After correcting that I've never had another issue of that nature.
You obviously do great assembly work, but it's always possible to miss something simple like that.
John_TX

Postby Gadgetman! » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Okay...

I took a quick look at the code.
The first file is very, very, horrible. Please consider finishing the setup by adding a 'prolog' section.

1. There's no G20/G21 code to specify Inches/Metric, or G90/G91 for Absolute/Relative addressing mode.
Studying the code, it looks as if it's running with Inches and working in Absolute mode.
If the code starts cutting in the right size it's just pure luck.

It's also messing about with the A-axis, which your machine doesn't even have...
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.
Gadgetman!

Postby CrazyBillybob » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm not an expert in Gcode by any means. But Let's not yell at him too much about his code. He's stated that 1. he's new 2. Lost 3. trying what the software spits out.
I did a quick look back at some of the code from my first projects and Well his code is better then what I was trying to use then.
From a quick look at Gearotic's web site (I don't really have a need for gear cutting software at the moment so looking at the site is all I can do) it doesn't look like there are post processors for it so that means you'd have to edit the Gcode it creates by hand - Possible but a pain in the butt (very hard for a new to CNC person).
Or take the output (STL, DXF,DWG,etc) and use another cam package that has a post processor. You said you tried MeshCam, I will admit I couldn't get meshcam to output what I wanted when I tried it... I thought I was telling it all the right things but the output was crap. to be fair I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it and I know a lot of guys (and Gals) here can make it dance...So I'm sure it was me.
So what I can offer is if you can post the .stl file of one of the gears I will pull it into Fusion 360 (with Shapeoko Post Processor) and I'll create some G code for you to test. If that works we can point you to a tool and workflow that will do what you need and More. (that has a ton of Great You Tube videos on how to use it even for noobs!)

I know how frustrating this all was for me when I started. I was accustomed to 3D printing. A nice gui with sliders and check boxes.... The code was magic and behind the scenes. Coming to CNC Milling the code is out front and the tools are many and documentation is written for young guys that have been doing this for year. I feel your pain... I'm an I.T. guy and links to a wiki make my head spin too.

CBB
CrazyBillybob

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion