I took my machine apart a few months ago followed by a house move; it has been a while since I played with the machine... I wanted to update everyone on current sate of things.
But first this is now the old version
working on a bigger and more rigid version. Never the less I didn't want to abandon this version and back ported many of the update ideas. This version did loose its aluminium t-slotted bed to its newer sibling
1) Moved to GT2 Belts and pulleys as this will have less backlash then MXL timing belt... see discussion here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=543
2) Moved all belts outside avoid loosing any travel for the workable area to belts idle pulleys.
3) Made better motor mounts, they are all nema23 with a nema23-nema17 plate at the end. Idle pulley hang from bottom nema23 screws, belt now hugs pulley better (more teeth touching pulley at same time). Link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158778
4) I am now also playing with milling aluminium, for this I replaced the dual shaft drive to dual motor drive.
5) Moved all drag-chain supports outside of travel area (see #2)
6) Change belts anchors, I needed better adjustment control (using screw and lock nut to change tension). Link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158789
7) Mod to z axis to make it more rigid, got rid of spacers. Parts are uploaded to thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158169
8) On X gantry collapsed space between rails to make room fro the z axis mod. Link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158830