Loc-Line Dust Collection

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions

Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby hanselcj » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:47 pm

I got tired of not being able to see what what was happening around my dust shoe. Also I found that it didn't really do a good job of pulling stuff out of the bottom of a deep profile cut, so I got some Loc-line and created a nozzle vacuum system. First off, finished product shot:

I used two 1/2" Loc-Line kits from amazon. http://amzn.com/B006R9OFGS. The kit comes with 12 segments, 3 nozzle sizes, a 1/2" NPT adapter, and I think a 3/8" NPT adapter. I started with a 3/4" Loc-line setup, but that stuff isn't flexible enough and was impossible to get the nozzle where I wanted, so stick with the 1/2" stuff. To go from my shop vac to the Loc-line I used PVC. A 1" Coupler goes on top of a Tee that had 1" on the top and 3/4" out of the sides. Plugs into the 3/4" side provide 1/2" NPT threaded holes. Pictured below is the assembled PVC part, then a spray painted version with NPT to loc-line adapters installed.

I milled a quick adapter to fit between my spindle and the 1" PVC. A hose clamp holds the two together. The results are great! The loc-line is flexible enough to get the nozzles close to the bit and suck up all the junk. Some things get by, but it does a pretty acceptable job. I shot a video of the new system in action. I cut a small circle, and some deep channels. Watch what happens when the vacuum is turned off.

Once I settled on a design it was pretty cheap and easy to install. I have really good access to the collet locker, which was tougher to get to with the dust shoe. I can always see what the mill is doing, and now there is room to install some kind of ring light! Questions, comments, or improvements?

More details and pictures at my blog: http://kiltedcraftworks.com/2015/02/28/loc-line-vacuum-upgrade/
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.
hanselcj

Re: Loc-Line Dust Collection

Postby Woodworker » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Great idea and I like the color. I plan to do the opposite and run air jets to clear the milled area and a dust shoe to pick it all up. Leave the front of the dust shoe open to allow air in for the vacuum system. Imay copy your idea for my drill press though.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611
Woodworker

Postby hanselcj » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Woodworker wrote:Great idea and I like the color. I plan to do the opposite and run air jets to clear the milled area and a dust shoe to pick it all up. Leave the front of the dust shoe open to allow air in for the vacuum system. Imay copy your idea for my drill press though.

I do a lot of woodworking too. I have a lot of 3/4" stuff left over from trying that first. I might grab a bucket-head vacuum and jig something up for my drill press too!
Shapeoko 2 #4951: Xbox 360 Pendant, Z-axis lead screw and NEMA23 upgrade, DW660 with Loc-Line dust collection, Googly Eyes, Swivel cutter attachment.
hanselcj

Postby chomdh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm

That turned out really well. Thanks for posting.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.
chomdh

Postby hanselcj » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:05 pm

I just got in some 90 degree Loc-line bends. I attached them right at the PVC section. They let me remove a hand full of links and get more desirable adjustability. Amazon has them in two packs: http://amzn.com/B00065UD5G
hanselcj

Postby SmokyRick » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Very nice solution, I like it.
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.
SmokyRick

Postby mortonwoodworks » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:10 am

What did you do with the hose above the Z axis? Does it just go up and arc around or did you manage to get in into some cable management system? I have had the Loc-Line parts myself but have been trying to get a nice and clean location to put the hose.
mortonwoodworks

Postby hanselcj » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:47 am

mortonwoodworks wrote:What did you do with the hose above the Z axis? Does it just go up and arc around or did you manage to get in into some cable management system? I have had the Loc-Line parts myself but have been trying to get a nice and clean location to put the hose.

I used a segment of vacuum hose from a shop vac. There is a solid pipe about a foot long that goes straight up. Flexable hosing comes out of that and goes over to the wall where I have it zip tied down. There is enough slack that it doesn't inhibit the stage, but not so much that it drags everywhere. The vacuum pipe is just sitting in the PVC piping. I can pull it out and do manual vacuuming when I want. Good for making sure the belts and surrounding area are clean. How about a picture?

This works well for the standard size shapoko 2. If you have a bigger mill, then you probably need something better. Maybe bungie lines coming down to help hold up slack so it doesn't drag around. Make sense?

-Chase
hanselcj

Postby chomdh » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:07 am

I recently upgraded to the dw611 and haven't made a dust shoe yet. I'm getting dust everywhere and this will be my next mod. I received the loc line and hopefully I get around to getting it plumbed up this weekend.
Shapeoko2 #3702:
DW611, arduino uno, gshield v5, NEMA23's on X & dual Y, NEMA17 on Z with ACME rod, 9mm belts, Mean Well NES-350-24V power supply, re-inforced gantry rails.
Soon to have inventables spindle mount and 1M X axis.
chomdh

Postby bharbour » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:49 pm

I wonder if you could design a shoe to fit on the ends of the nozzles?? You could split the shoe into two, attach each half to the two ends, and bring the two together around (and surrounding) the bit before cutting. In my mind that would be a good fixed height shoe...the two loc lines attached to the plate.
Currently building a machine of my own design...
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com
bharbour

Next

Return to Design Ideas