Grbl Controller 3.0 released

Re: Grbl Controller 3.0 released

Postby bobt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:07 am

ALL RIGHT -- Zapmaker - YOU ARE THE MAN. I downloaded from github the latest sources for GRBL Controller 3.0 and built it last night. SUCCESSFULLY -- AND IT WORKS (yes I know that I am yelling.) This is fantastic. I now have a Raspberry PI front end for my ShapeOko in all its glory.

When I tested it with the Hello World.nc file for the ShapeOko it worked. I also am running Grbl 8.0c on the arduino. The new version command line is different than the old version and Zapmaker needs to check for the version A or C to tell what command line to issue for parameters as version A uses "$" and version C uses "$$". Otherwise it works. In the .nc file there are 2 warnings and 1 error

Warning:
Removing unsupported G command "G64"
Removing unsupported G command "G40"

Error:
>T0 M06
error: Unsupported Statement

But other than that the file was sent to the arduino and completed.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!

Bob Teeter
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397
bobt

Postby fito » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 am

Bobt, your enthusiasm shows through.

Are you planning on running the rasp-pi headless over a network?
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649
fito

Postby bobt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:41 pm

No I am going to use 4 raspberry pi systems to run 4 cnc machines. But Yes I am going to use each of them headless.

OS: Raspbain + rdp + free code to run Grbl Controller 3.1+ (note software is free as in free beer)

Hardware:
rPI 35.00
8Gb SD card 12.99
Enclosure 8.99
5v 1amp PS 6.99
------------------
Total 63.97 + tax + shipping

All purchased from MCM Electronics ( I don't own the company or work for it, just a happy customer)

Bob Teeter
bobt

Postby madmike88 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 am

Bob, do you mind documenting your progress? I'm interested in trying this.

Thanks

Mike
madmike88

Postby bobt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:43 am

OK - Here goes - Raspberry PI - older 256Mb version hardware but it works. 8Gb SD card. keyboard, mouse and screen

OS - Raspbain downloaded from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads page

install the image on the SD card.
plug in the usb hub that the arduino is connect to but do not have the stepper motor driver card attached as this is a test.

Install the SD card into the Raspberry PI hardware - Big point here -> Power ON.

raspi-config screen show up.
Configure:
expand_rootfs
configure_keyboard
change_pass
change_timezone
<finish>
login as pi user with the passwd that you setup in above
sudo apt-get install xrdp <remote desktop program>
reboot <to resize the root filesystem so that the rest can be done>

login as pi user
sudo apt-get install arduino <installs pi arduino tool - nice to have>
sudo apt-get install libudev-dev
sudo apt-get install qtcreator

mkdir git
cd git
winscp/and scp program the directory and contents for the GrblController software gotten from github <https://github.com/zapmaker/GrblHoming>
into the git directory. I also copied the Hello_World_ShapeOko.nc file into the git directory as a test file.

cd <return to pi home directory>
cd git/G* <move to the build directory for the software>
qmake GcodeSenderGUIthreads.pro <auto configures build environment and files>
make <will build the software>

When the build completes the program GrblController will exist in the build directory.

From your windows box do a remote desktop session to your Raspberry Pi login as pi.
when the gui screen comes up then
select the second from the left icon in the bottom of the screen This is the file browser.
When the file browser starts up it will display the contents of the user pi's home directory.
You will find a folder called git - select it to enter it.
Then select the GrblHoming directory.
Then select the GrblController icon which looks like a gear type of thingee. Should be about 3rd row down and on the far right.
Click on it and It will ask if you want to execute it. select execute.
In the device window select the /dev/ttyACM0 device as this it the port that the Arduino UNO is connected to.

Click the button select file to browse the to the hello_world file and select it.
You should see the default prompt from the arduino/grbl controller in the output command window.
In the command line window above the output command window type in the prompt for your card either a $ or $$ depending as to which version of grbl code is loaded.
the command should be echoed into the command window and also the command output should be displayed.

select the begin button and you will see your output sent to the Grbl controller with X/Y/Z locations changing as it runs.

YAYYYYYYYYaaaaaaa

it works. Runtime for the job was 3 minutes 8 seconds.

Bob Teeter

Fixed where to get source code.
BT
Last edited by bobt on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobt

Suprise on first usage of new firmware 0.8c

Postby bobt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:59 am

If you have upgraded the firmware on your UNO to 0.8c Then be warned that the 1st 6 parameters do not match what was setup on your ShapeOko grbl release. It will try to create a design 10 times larger. $0 in the A release is 43.75 in the C release is over 700+. So Katy bar the door you will find the physical limits of the machine REAL FAST. So before upgrading your UNO list the parameters for $0 - $9 and then put the same values in the correct spots for the new release. If you do that then it works just like the old one.

Bob Teeter
bobt

Postby madmike88 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 am

Bob, I just wanted to say, Thanks. I will be getting a couple RPi after the beginning of the year, and this will be a great help.
madmike88

Postby zapmaker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:09 am

Bob - disregard my previous private message, I humbly admit my limited forum skills and didn't see we went to page 2 on this topic :oops:

I will try to get a build with the latest changes into the Grbl Controller for the new Grbl code (the $$ issue) in the next day or two. I will post when it is ready. If all goes well with testing, I'll then create some installers sometime soon after.

Thanks for your great work getting the pi working with Grbl Controller and your detailed info. I have a pi on the way from MCM and want to try this out.

Also, in your instructions, you reference Kosme's repository, you probably meant https://github.com/zapmaker/GrblHoming

Regarding warnings and errors - the two unsupported commands are generated by cambam and were originally filtered out by Kosme's code. I just added a warning telling you that the removal was happening. I can't confirm, but I believe these aren't supported by Grbl. The T0 error is being generated by Grbl - it doesn't understand the command generated by cambam and responds with an error. Grbl Controller ignores any reported errors and continues processing the file.

Warning:
Removing unsupported G command "G64"
Removing unsupported G command "G40"

Error:
>T0 M06
error: Unsupported Statement

For list of codes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCode

thanks

zapmaker
Shapeoko #668
Dual-Y axis, belts outside, DW660 | Author of Grbl Controller 3.0 | http://zapmaker.org
zapmaker

Postby bobt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 am

zapmaker - yup your right about the github link. I am going to claim that my glasses fogged up real bad and I just shut my eyes and pointed to something. Sorry about the incorrect link. MY BAD......

Bob Teeter

I was in the sauna and did not know it. I have fixed the link.
BT
bobt

Postby JoeyD » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks for sharing this Bob! I had some free time just before Christmas and was able to get this running on my RPi following your instructions.
JoeyD

PreviousNext

Return to Software - CAD, CAM, Workflow Help