I finally got around to configuring my shapeoko, the Z and Y axes were wired backward so I swapped a couple wires to get that fixed (I didn't want to bother with remembering a software configuration). The heatsink needed to come off to access the Z, so I took a couple pictures while it was open.
After starting the hello world gcode, the text was way too big. If you look closely at the hello world picture you can see the giant mirror image "Shap". I guess there is some sort of problem with my micro-stepping settings, I thought it was set to 8x micro-stepping (jumpers on MS1 & MS2).
My only other guess is that the 400 step/rev motors I bought from phidgets are actually 200 step/rev. That would also explain why the 0.9 degree on my motors was blacked out:
Compared to the one on the phidgets web page:
In any case, to fix it I changed the step/mm setting rather than adding a jumper to MS3.
Here is my heatsink while I had it off, it took about 4 manual hours to make this with a very old AMMCO metal shaper (this isn't the one I used, but it is the same model
). My dad and I found it amusing that once the CNC machine is running I will be able to automate making one of these rather than stand at the shaper for 4 hours carefully measuring each cut.Stepper Shield Heatsink
, on Flickr
And finally... Hello World!ShapeOko #367 Hello World
, on Flickr
Now I need to hook up the dremel and figure out the rest of the software stack.