New X-axis plates

discussion of design changes / improvements / suggestions

New X-axis plates

Postby edwardrford » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm

All,

Here are two pictures of the machine I have been testing a new front/back plate configuration on.
new_plates.jpg
new_plates.jpg (118.34 KiB) Viewed 7471 times

new_plates2.jpg
new_plates2.jpg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 7471 times

After getting the initial batch in for prototyping, I decided to make a design change from the 3 horizontally slotted holes, to a single slotted hole.

xmount_v2.png
xmount_v2.png (73.66 KiB) Viewed 7471 times

If you are running the belt in an alternative configuration (along the makerslide), you can use the bottom slit to feed your belt through. Then pull the belt up and clamp it down between the plate and your existing belt anchor. A cool new feature is the bolt above that slot can then be used to tension the belt!

If you are running your belt in the traditional method, just run it over the top of the plate, and bolt it into plate with your existing belt anchor. Now the plates look like this:
proto_mount_v2_mockup.png
proto_mount_v2_mockup.png (46.97 KiB) Viewed 7471 times

The plates give the following benefits:
- 3/16" A36 steel (very stiff! Probably overkill.)
- Expand x-axis easily
- Opens up the front and back of your machine. Allowing larger stock to be accepted.
- gives some vertical adjustment to makerslide via slotted holes

In 2 weeks I'll have 100 sets of these X-axis uprights for sale. The price will be $25 and includes shipping for anyone domestic. If you are international and want to buy a set, you'll need to add $10 to that. I'll post a link in the 'for sale' section once the parts arrive. The sets include just the 4 brackets. You will need to source your cross pieces separately.

Cross pieces can be had from misumi at very reasonable prices. For example, a piece of 20mmx40mm (like I used) at 500mm is only $5.
Here's the link to the 20x40mm profiles: http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/ItemDetail/10302244930.html

As a side note, I toyed with the idea of providing the cross pieces with the kit, but in the end decided that would defeat the purpose. These plates allow you to easily scale your x-axis to your desired width. If i provided the cross pieces then I would essentially be dictating your width.

Here is a detailed PDF and DXF file along with a STEP file for all of you 3D modelers.
Attachments
xmount_V2.zip
(93.8 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
edwardrford

Re: New X-axis plates

Postby DevinTX » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Count me in for a set of the new plates. Let me know where to send to $$ and the mail-to info

DevinTX
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion
DevinTX

Postby northbear » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Just a reminder that you will also need a longer piece of makerslide along with the misumi to expand the x axis. Thought I would point that out as it was not explicitly stated in the original post.

P.S. I like the new design!
My buildlog is here
northbear

Postby jrsteensen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:58 am

Ever have one of those moments of "Why didn't I think of that?" Nice mod! :D
jrsteensen

Postby jrsteensen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:09 am

And second thought...have you just made the shapeoko capable of self-replicating (sans COTS parts) now?
jrsteensen

Postby edwardrford » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:49 am

I actually did have that moment! Right after I thought of the new design I thought "shit... why didn't I come up with that 10 months ago!"

I have several more revisions to make, but this is the only one that's tested and proven. And, IMO, the most important design mod at this point in time. So, I wanted to get it out there and available. I also bought enough of them to get the cost / set low enough that it's not a major investment to add the upgrade to anyone's machine.

Also, thanks for the approval everyone. I hymned and hawed about whether or not to release an 'upgrade' so early in the game, as some people haven't even received their kits yet. But in the end everyone I talked to about it gave me the go ahead, and I ultimately decided that it was more important to continue driving the project forward than it is to not do something on the off chance of upsetting someone. So again, thanks for the encouragement.

Have I mentioned that it's nice to be back designing stuff for the machine?!

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
edwardrford

Postby AtomSoft » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:25 am

Sexy! i want it... i need to make me some more $$$... :)

The more upgrades the better. Its better to be active open source than a dead one :)
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE
AtomSoft

Postby Max Metz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:00 am

Very nice indeed Edward, elegant in its simplicity and flexibility. Here is the Sketchup version plus the Misumi 2040 section for anyone wishing to update the full model.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 67ad6945df
Xmount V2.jpg
Xmount V2.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 7408 times

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 67ad6945df
Misumi 2040 50mm long.jpg
Misumi 2040 50mm long.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 7395 times

Best regards. :D

Edit: Misumi 2040 section added.
Max Metz

New X-axis plates

Postby sjh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Very nice Edward.
I' m in the last inventables run. So i have a few months waiting time. I'm hoping that inventables isn't that far in to the production and incorporate this revision. If not, I'm in for these plates.
sjh

Postby JCPhlux » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:25 pm

As small a foot print as this has what would be the issue with just milling this yourself?
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth
JCPhlux

Next

Return to Design Ideas